12 April 2011

Experiments with new mold making material

Kevin Huffaker brought in some new mold making supplies and we had a bit of fun messing around.  The stuff is ComposiMold.  It is non-toxic, reusable, at least that what Kevin swears.  It is kind of like moulage, in that you can microwave the goop until it is nice and spicy, then you dip or pour your mold, wait for it to cool, and then de-mold; and your ready to cast.  Though, high-exothermic casting is out of the question-and I would assume that means wax and chocolate are off the table.  Fun fun.

Dipping the bust of George Washington. (this is from a perfume bottle....wonder what perfume a founding father smells like)
 Drip, drip
 Here is one of Billy Ray Mangham's ceramic sculptures in progress.
 Billy Ray at work.  He and Beverly are our neighbors and run the extra-wonderful Eye of the Dog Art Center
I'm taking a beginning throwing class with Eric Jackson.   I would consider including some images of the mugs and bowls that I am throwing, but that would just be too painful. Maybe if some of my "little-monsters" survive the glaze firing, I'll pop them up here.